Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 67 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:04 am

GCN BBA hardware issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Pavetheway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Ever since I ordered my BBA of Ebay years ago, the thing has always been pretty picky about how it's positioned. If I plug my Ethernet cable into the BBA I get no internet connection. However, if I put the GameCube on its side so that pressure is being applied to force the Ethernet cable in, then it works. It's either the BBA is falling out somehow and needs to be held in better, or the Ethernet port on it is bad. I've already tried multiple Ethernet cables, so I know that's not the cable (though I've Prime Now'd a new Ethernet cable today just to be sure).

It's rather frustrating trying to connect to the server wondering if it's the hardware or if my settings are just wrong. I hope to get connected tonight though! I'm not really posting here looking for a solution, but rather to see if anyone else has had this issue. I looked everywhere online and I've yet to see anyone else with this problem.
avatar
Pavetheway

Posts : 7
Meseta : 854
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-07-29
Age : 24
Location : Atlanta, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Kroniedon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Pavetheway wrote:Ever since I ordered my BBA of Ebay years ago, the thing has always been pretty picky about how it's positioned. If I plug my Ethernet cable into the BBA I get no internet connection. However, if I put the GameCube on its side so that pressure is being applied to force the Ethernet cable in, then it works. It's either the BBA is falling out somehow and needs to be held in better, or the Ethernet port on it is bad. I've already tried multiple Ethernet cables, so I know that's not the cable (though I've Prime Now'd a new Ethernet cable today just to be sure).

It's rather frustrating trying to connect to the server wondering if it's the hardware or if my settings are just wrong. I hope to get connected tonight though! I'm not really posting here looking for a solution, but rather to see if anyone else has had this issue. I looked everywhere online and I've yet to see anyone else with this problem.

On a few of my cords, I had to put tape around the connector due to this. They were cheap cords. I wouldn't say it's an issue of the bba, more like the problem of cheap cords. After getting my better quality cat6 it's just fine.

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Owner and Administrator.
Egotistical Asshole.
Likes long walks by the beach, kittens, and bringing darkness and destruction.
Dislikes other egotistical assholes, wearing clothes in public, and singing circles.
avatar
Kroniedon

Posts : 1524
Meseta : 2147486345
Fame : 41
Join date : 2010-07-02
Age : 25
Location : Clay City, KY

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : U.S. Eastern
Name of character 1: Kronos
Guildcard:: 63252135

View user profile http://www.l33tservpso.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Pavetheway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 pm

I hope the one I ordered is some what better.



Now that you mention it, the LAN cables I've been using are pretty old and worn.
avatar
Pavetheway

Posts : 7
Meseta : 854
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-07-29
Age : 24
Location : Atlanta, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  I3ot on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:02 pm

pavetheway wrote:
It's rather frustrating trying to connect to the server wondering if it's the hardware or if my settings are just wrong

I'm sure the settings are all fine, but to rule it out have you been able to connect to servers online before?
And is the IP/settings set up correctly?

Sounds to me that it's more of a BBA problem though. One might which be easy to solve

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Fear their wrath as they run amok

spreading havoc as they roam around Ragol,

they come in groups, the ones that cannot be killed,

Rappies are thy name


                                               I3ot FOnewearl lvl 200
Slayer HUmar lvl 200               Slicer Hunewearl lvl 157                Ninja~Slayer RAmar 145
Mini Slayer FOmar 150              Isak RAcast lvl 156                      Sky Angel' RAmarl 109
Mr fox  FOnewn 103                Knight Rider HUcast 96                    StarBot RAcaseal 94
avatar
I3ot

Posts : 703
Meseta : 3521
Fame : 19
Join date : 2010-10-05
Age : 22
Location : Swedish Ninja Temple

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Central european time (UTC+1)
Name of character 1: Slayer
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Pavetheway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm

I haven't been able to connect yet. I got the message, "Failed to connect to dhcp server." Kroniedon made this suggestion in another thread:

Kroniedon wrote:You'll have to set a static IP. In connection settings, under IP settings, instead of choosing "Automatically obtain IP" Set a static IP, one within your routers range and without fear of being used. I personally used 192.168.2.32, but it'll all depend on your router's configuration. Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0. The gateway should be set to your computer's internal address, and not the gateway address listed under your router's setting. Most routers contain a DCHP Client table if you need to look up your PC's Internal IP. You can also find it by launching command prompt and using the command "ipconfig". DNS should be set to the server IP and you should be good to go.

I'll give this a try tonight and see what happens.
avatar
Pavetheway

Posts : 7
Meseta : 854
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-07-29
Age : 24
Location : Atlanta, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  I3ot on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Pavetheway wrote:I haven't been able to connect yet. I got the message, "Failed to connect to dhcp server." Kroniedon made this suggestion in another thread:

Kroniedon wrote:You'll have to set a static IP. In connection settings, under IP settings, instead of choosing "Automatically obtain IP" Set a static IP, one within your routers range and without fear of being used. I personally used 192.168.2.32, but it'll all depend on your router's configuration. Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0. The gateway should be set to your computer's internal address, and not the gateway address listed under your router's setting. Most routers contain a DCHP Client table if you need to look up your PC's Internal IP. You can also find it by launching command prompt and using the command "ipconfig". DNS should be set to the server IP and you should be good to go.

I'll give this a try tonight and see what happens.
Alrighty then, give that a try and see what happens. Wishing my best.

On another note. You mentioned you bought the BBA a few years back. Have you been able to succesfully play any other gamecube games online before? Or is this your first attempt trying to ge online?

- I3ot =)

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Fear their wrath as they run amok

spreading havoc as they roam around Ragol,

they come in groups, the ones that cannot be killed,

Rappies are thy name


                                               I3ot FOnewearl lvl 200
Slayer HUmar lvl 200               Slicer Hunewearl lvl 157                Ninja~Slayer RAmar 145
Mini Slayer FOmar 150              Isak RAcast lvl 156                      Sky Angel' RAmarl 109
Mr fox  FOnewn 103                Knight Rider HUcast 96                    StarBot RAcaseal 94
avatar
I3ot

Posts : 703
Meseta : 3521
Fame : 19
Join date : 2010-10-05
Age : 22
Location : Swedish Ninja Temple

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Central european time (UTC+1)
Name of character 1: Slayer
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Pavetheway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 pm

I used to be able to play on SCHTServ back then all the time. So I know it CAN work... sometimes haha.
avatar
Pavetheway

Posts : 7
Meseta : 854
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-07-29
Age : 24
Location : Atlanta, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Kroniedon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

What it comes down to is that little clip on the back of the cable head. Moving it between devices and natural degradation would be the biggest issue here. I think you'll see a big difference when you get a new cable.

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Owner and Administrator.
Egotistical Asshole.
Likes long walks by the beach, kittens, and bringing darkness and destruction.
Dislikes other egotistical assholes, wearing clothes in public, and singing circles.
avatar
Kroniedon

Posts : 1524
Meseta : 2147486345
Fame : 41
Join date : 2010-07-02
Age : 25
Location : Clay City, KY

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : U.S. Eastern
Name of character 1: Kronos
Guildcard:: 63252135

View user profile http://www.l33tservpso.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  I3ot on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Well that's good, then we know that it least can work, now we just need to get it to work :p

The cable might be it.. but I myself have used the same one since the age of dawn xD

Edit: MIne doesn't even have the clip anymore xD

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Fear their wrath as they run amok

spreading havoc as they roam around Ragol,

they come in groups, the ones that cannot be killed,

Rappies are thy name


                                               I3ot FOnewearl lvl 200
Slayer HUmar lvl 200               Slicer Hunewearl lvl 157                Ninja~Slayer RAmar 145
Mini Slayer FOmar 150              Isak RAcast lvl 156                      Sky Angel' RAmarl 109
Mr fox  FOnewn 103                Knight Rider HUcast 96                    StarBot RAcaseal 94
avatar
I3ot

Posts : 703
Meseta : 3521
Fame : 19
Join date : 2010-10-05
Age : 22
Location : Swedish Ninja Temple

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Central european time (UTC+1)
Name of character 1: Slayer
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Pavetheway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:01 pm

It was the cable after all! I'm online now. Also, another thing that was giving me problems. I share a router with 2 other people, so there's a lot of chords coming out of it. Port 1, 2, and 3 were occupied so I used port 4. Well, it turns out port 2 was going out and connecting to port 3. So the cable was literally just running back into the router, thus messing up all wired connections. Live and learn I guess haha. Just glad I'm on! Woo. Thanks for the help!
avatar
Pavetheway

Posts : 7
Meseta : 854
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-07-29
Age : 24
Location : Atlanta, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Minsc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:54 pm

I3ot wrote:Edit: MIne doesn't even have the clip anymore xD

Ha ha, I remember way back on the old sega server days the tap had long broken off my phone cable from switching betweeen the DC/GC and my computer.
avatar
Minsc

Posts : 46
Meseta : 971
Fame : 0
Join date : 2015-05-22
Age : 36

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Atlantic
Name of character 1: nanashi
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  I3ot on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Minsc wrote:
I3ot wrote:Edit: MIne doesn't even have the clip anymore xD

Ha ha, I remember way back on the old sega server days the tap had long broken off my phone cable from switching betweeen the DC/GC and my computer.
XD That's just awesome, as it still worked, right :p

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Fear their wrath as they run amok

spreading havoc as they roam around Ragol,

they come in groups, the ones that cannot be killed,

Rappies are thy name


                                               I3ot FOnewearl lvl 200
Slayer HUmar lvl 200               Slicer Hunewearl lvl 157                Ninja~Slayer RAmar 145
Mini Slayer FOmar 150              Isak RAcast lvl 156                      Sky Angel' RAmarl 109
Mr fox  FOnewn 103                Knight Rider HUcast 96                    StarBot RAcaseal 94
avatar
I3ot

Posts : 703
Meseta : 3521
Fame : 19
Join date : 2010-10-05
Age : 22
Location : Swedish Ninja Temple

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Central european time (UTC+1)
Name of character 1: Slayer
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  tueidj on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Pavetheway wrote:Port 1, 2, and 3 were occupied so I used port 4. Well, it turns out port 2 was going out and connecting to port 3. So the cable was literally just running back into the router, thus messing up all wired connections.

tueidj

Posts : 144
Meseta : 2065
Fame : 6
Join date : 2012-08-29

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : GMT+10
Name of character 1: JD
Guildcard:: 388029213

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  PokeLinkEB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 pm

LoL round of applause for tueidj! He'll be here all week!

My GC is just iffy. It's not the ethernet cable or the BBA. Used the same setup, different cubes, and my friends ran perfect every time. I still have my cube hugging a wall with a pretzel ethernet cable to apply pressure.

~-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/-/--/~
Master of the
Omniverse




Skyly_______Skyly_______Greenill_______Oran
GC: PokeLinkEB-167 LINKMASTER-178 DarkAce-160 Corruption-1
DS: PokeLinkEB-100 LINKMASTER-100 DarkAce-100
PC: PokeLinkEB-X LINKMASTER-X Darkace-X Corruption-X
Bluefull____Redria____Whitill____Yellowboze
avatar
PokeLinkEB

Posts : 551
Meseta : 3411
Fame : 14
Join date : 2010-07-14
Age : 25
Location : San Jose

PSO Player Info
Time Zone: : Pacific
Name of character 1: PokeLinkEB
Guildcard::

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GCN BBA hardware issues

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum